Wednesday, October 22, 2014

iCloud... and of course, Apple's response

It doesn't call out attacks from China, but Apple does respond.. if you didn't know how to check it (I'm assuming that if you read my blog, you probably do... I hope you do...). But here's Apple's directions on how to check the digital certificate associated with the iCloud website.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6550?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

"The iCloud website is protected with a digital certificate. If users get an invalid certificate warning in their browser while visiting www.icloud.com, they should pay attention to the warning and not proceed."

I have a couple of thoughts on this.. you knew I would.

First, the iCloud website is indeed NOT protected by a digital certificate. The digital certificate in and of itself is part of a protection scheme, but I wouldn't hang my hat on a digital certificate keeping bad guys out of iCloud.

Second, leaving this to users to check, 'pay attention to the warning and not proceed' strikes me smack in the funny bone. I want to laugh, but it hurts when I get hit there. Check that digital cert every time you log in. I wonder if my mom will check it when she logs in. Will yours?



No comments: